Package Details: unreal-engine 4.24.1-6

Git Clone URL: (read-only, click to copy)
Package Base: unreal-engine
Description: A 3D game engine by Epic Games which can be used non-commercially for free.
Upstream URL:
Keywords: 3D engine game UE4 Unreal
Licenses: custom:UnrealEngine
Submitter: acerix
Maintainer: acerix (zerophase, Shatur)
Last Packager: Shatur
Votes: 49
Popularity: 2.57
First Submitted: 2016-05-01 18:37
Last Updated: 2020-01-27 08:16

Dependencies (14)

Required by (1)

Sources (2)

Latest Comments

« First ‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next › Last »

Slasher006 commented on 2020-01-05 16:32

@Shatur So its seams limited to the 1070. Good to know. :-|

Shatur commented on 2020-01-05 16:26

@Slasher006, I have MX150 (Notebook).

Slasher006 commented on 2020-01-05 14:29

@Shatur I dont use KDE. I use xfce4. Sometimes i3. Wich gfx do you use? Like niqingliang2003 i have a 1070ti.

Shatur commented on 2020-01-05 14:17

@Slasher006, @niqingliang2003, very strange, I also use KDE with Nvidia, but everything works as it should.

Slasher006 commented on 2020-01-05 12:27

@niqingliang2003 No patch yet. I am trying to get that workaround running. No luck so far :-|

niqingliang2003 commented on 2020-01-05 11:44

4.24.1 report: lag every 3 seconds on kde/nvidia1070 still there.

@Slasher006: GOOD NEWS! any patch?

Slasher006 commented on 2020-01-05 10:01

The freezing problem with 4.24 might have got a solution:


Cross posting from discussion on #linux on discord.

The version of SDL that is precompiled and bundeld with linux is definitely not using libudev. If libudev was being used then SDL would not end up polling all /lib/input/event* devices every 3 seconds. I pulled down SDL and built a stand alone example, and I happen to have libudev installed, and I get no hitching on the same hardware. Wondering if there is some reason libudev is not being used in the SDL built for linux by Epic?

I made sure that I did not init SDL_JOYSTICK | SDL_GAMEPAD | SDL_SENSORS in LinuxPlatformApplicationMisc.cpp and commented out the checks in LinuxApplication.cpp and no more hitching, at all.

I know for a fact libudev is not being used because in my profiling I can see the function MaybeAddDevice being called, and when SDL_USE_LIBUDEV is true that code will never execute.

Simply rebuilding SDL using in the ThirdParty/SDL2 directory fixes all my htiches. When grepping the output of that script libudev is marked as found, and the better code path is now taken. Looking at the scripts in that folder, it is not apparent that libudev-dev is being installed by the package manager in the, and scripts.

TLDR; Either use libudev with SDL or do not init SDL_Joystick and you can have a hitch free UE4 too.

" EDIT: I get errors with zlib after rebuilding SDL. :-O (i feel useless now)

Shatur commented on 2019-12-29 21:55

@zerophase, omg, sorry, just forgot to change it back, fixed!

zerophase commented on 2019-12-29 21:51

@shatur you wrote the package to install to /mnt.

Shatur commented on 2019-12-29 18:24

Updated to 4.24.1. Here is my changes:

  • I moved downloading of Unreal Engine to prepare section. This allows me to explicitly check access to the repository (and notify user about it!) and specify --depth=1 to reduce the amount of downloaded data from repo to 200 MiB.
  • I removed cmake from makedepends because it is not used for building.
  • But I added cmake, qmake and used IDE's in editor settings as makedepends.
  • I removed all obsolete patches (that not needed) and updated all information, now PKGBUILD looks clean.
  • PKGBUILD now works with the latest (4.24.1) version.
  • I renamed .desktop file to com.unrealengine.UE4Editor to follow desktop entry specifications and renamed icon to lower case for desktop icon themes compatibility.
  • I splitted make -j1 into the build of each component from the "all" target in order to be able to build with multiply threads and avoid the error with parallel compilation of several targets. Because each target can be build in parallel separately.

After 4.24 Unreal Engine disallow to use system clang :( Even if I try "-ForceUseSystemCompiler" as noticed in 4.24 changes it says that "No BuildPlatform found for Linux". Perhaps this can be fixed, but so far there is no solution, so I suggest using the proposed clang for now.

I decided to leave other systems components as is. This greatly reduces the amount of data, but I can’t be sure that everything will work correctly. Therefore, I did not change it.